Saturday, February 26, 2005

Running and chocolate are good for you.

Today I did my 5K race as prescribed by Hal Higdon's training plan. With one exception. There aren't any 5K's going on this week, from what I can see on local race calendars. And, we received a little snow dump yesterday, so I couldn't even go on the track. Instead, I went to the gym, AGAIN, and hopped onto the treadmill.

Did I ever share one of my biggest reasons for running? Well, there's two. The reward of dark chocolate and ice cream at the end. Dark chocolate in the winter and ice cream in the summer. So tonight I helped eat my husband's Valentine's day gift and then had a little from mine. Yes, we bought each other chocolate and enough so that we still have some at the end of February.

Oh, and maybe there's a third reward. Wine. Red wine in the winter, white in the summer. You see, there is a connection here. Wine and chocolate have flavonoids, which are antioxidants. Antioxidants combat free radicals, which are bad for your body, and help fight against diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Antioxidants are also found in carotenoids, the red/orange/yellow pigments of carrots and even egg yolks; they're also found in lignans, found in flax.

Another thing I didn't share on this blog is that I am getting my masters in nutrition. I have been interested in nutrition since high school, applied to nine colleges with nutrition programs, went to a NY state school and became an undeclared major because I was sewing my wild oats away from home and afraid of all the sciences that nutrition involved. I ended up with a degree in Communications, worked in Public Relations for over five years, and after marrying my wonderful husband, decided it was time to pursue my original dream and passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment