Saturday, March 22, 2008

Blogging Hiatus

It's been a while since I "blogged". I started with good intentions a few years ago. Last I wrote, I was training for the NYC 2005 marathon! Gosh, it's been over two years and I never talked about the actual race.

It was a GREAT race. The training paid off because I was thoroughly prepared. It was a warm day that year, in the low 70's if I remember correctly, which is warm for early November in NY. The NYC marathon is truly what everyone claims. The cheering crowds and bands as you enter Brooklyn from the Verrazano Bridge. The loud roars as your leaving the 59th Street Bridge and entering NYC. Solitude in Harlem and the Bronx. And the re-entrance into NYC reassuring you that the finish line is so close, you can taste it through the salt in your mouth!

As I neared the finish line in Central Park, I had tears in my eyes. It was the end of a four-month journey of training. In the last mile, I thought about all of those long Saturday runs I completed. The weekly preparing of a new playlist in my iPod, getting my Fuel Belt bottles ready with diluted Gatorade, checking the weather reports obsessively and hoping for no rain.

This past year I was a spectator. My husband ran his first NYC marathon. He raised money for NY City Meals On Wheels while training. My family and I made signs and we feverishly looked for him through the thick crowds in Brooklyn. It was an adventure trying to find him, but we did each and every location we staked out. Leading up to this day, I was afraid I'd be "bummed" that I wasn't actually running. I didn't want to rain on his parade. Strangely enough, I felt nothing more than excited for what he was about to accomplish.

Now... I won't lie... it did give me that "bug" again. Half-marathons have been fun since then, but nothing beats a marathon - especially NYC!!

No comments:

Post a Comment