Personally, I crave salt after a long run. I might have a sweet dessert later on in the evening, but it's all about the salt in the first couple of hours following the run. My favorite post-long run meal is 2 slices of whole wheat toast, 1/2 cup cooked Egg Beaters, 1 slice of cheese, and a little ketchup and mustard mixed (yes, I know, the ketchup/mustard thing may sound strange, but I love condiments). With that I'll have 1 small serving of pretzels or soy crisps and water. Water is key to rehydrating after a long run. I must admit, I do crave coffee after a long run too. Hot in the winter months, iced in the summer. I know it may not be the best after-run drink, so I commit to drinking a few glasses of water first, then the coffee.
Since my idea of a great post-long run meal may not match yours, here are some other great ways to refuel after a long pounding on the pavement:
- 2-3 oz whole wheat bagel with 2-3 oz turkey or roast beef, lettuce, tomato
- Chocolate milk (made with 1% or nonfat milk) - this is a great option for those who can't stomach eating solid food within the first 1-2 hours after a long run.
- 1 cup whole grain cereal mixed into a lowfat yogurt
- Apple slices with 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- Toasted English Muffin with peanut or almond butter
- Smoothie made with 4-6 oz lowfat vanilla yogurt, 1 small banana, any added berries, a few ice cubes in a blender
So what is your favorite post-long run meal??